Saturday, August 8, 2009

One week in

Yep, I've been here a week. How weird is it that I live in Asia? I'm still not totally sure I know what I'm doing here...I mean, I'm all adventurous for a few weeks at a time, but a whole year? Hmmm...processing still....

Anyway, several of you have asked about school and how my first few days of teaching went, and I'm glad to report that they went well. I'm getting used to the system and the schedule (which, for me, is very confusing), but the other teachers assure me that I'll get used to it soon. I'm teaching a variety of classes and ages...from reading to science (yep, me teaching science...) to random English stuff. It's a lot harder than I anticipated (didn't I get a MA in this stuff??) but I've seen how just being familiar with the material I'm working with is huge.

So my day looks a bit like this (definitely subject to change):
730am - wake up, shower, breakfast, green tea, at least one ep of The Office, reading, Skyping with friends and family, etc
1030am - off to school to plans lessons
1245pm - speaking class for summer school...this is done Aug. 21
130pm - lunch with fellow teachers (is it bad that this is my favorite part of the day? I really like Korean food!)
215pm - classes until either 630 or 8, depending on the day
630 or 8pm - home, to a bowl of cereal or spicy noodles, quick rinse off in the shower, Skyping with friends and family, etc
10pm - reading in bed for 30 min or so
1030 or 11pm - lights out!

So, as you can see, it's really riveting, my life...actually, having a set schedule is kinda nice right now. I may get bored with it later and have to switch things up, but right now, it serves me well.

By the way, I really do like Korean food. I've had really really spicy stuff that made me cry but tasted so good I couldn't stop eating, weird combinations of foods that I never would've tried had I not been here, and even a radish that was literally the color of a yellow Hi-Lite marker. I usually go into meals asking, "What is that?" and no matter what the answer is, I try it. I haven't been disappointed yet! Now I'm just waiting to eat some dog.....

No comments:

Post a Comment