Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lost

I'm trying to figure out how I can get all the way to Bundang by myself without drama but I can't get to E-mart and back without having to call for help and almost crying. Bundang is almost 2 hours away by subway, changing lines at least 5 times. E-mart is one 10 minute bus ride away.

I really needed a fan. It's been super humid here and we've had a couple days of steady, hard rain, so I didn't want to do laundry and have my clothes mildew. That's just gross, and I don't want to be that smelly American girl. I've always prided myself on being a fabulous laundress and smelling rather nice, so my pride is definitely at stake here.

ANYWAY, so I needed a fan. I decided to head over to E-mart to get one since it seemed pretty easy when I went with G last week. I'm thinking, I'm a smart woman and I'm confident. I'll look like I know what I'm doing and I'll get this freaking fan! So off I go...I catch the right bus (78), all the while thinking, these people must be impressed that I'm so natural and comfortable here, swiping my card, getting off at the right stop. I've even perfected the "sleepy subway look" which is also used on buses. People get on and immediately close their eyes and slump down. They look fast asleep but as soon as it's their stop, they pop up and head out. Sleepy subway. So, I use the sleepy subway look and manage to get out at the E-mart. Great.

I head in and I love this place. The bottom floor is the grocery and the second floor is household stuff and clothes. At 5'10" and $@& lbs, I just skip the clothes and head for home goods. Wall hooks! Cleaning supplies! Organizational stuff! School supplies! Decorative hangings and stands! It's like paradise! I easily found the fans (all by myself, thanks) and pick out the one with a remote control...I'm all about controlling things from the comfort of my bed. I got a few other things (i.e. more wall hooks...I'm obsessed), all the while keeping in mind that I have to get all this stuff back to my apt via the bus and walking a good distance. I also shopped a bit in the grocery store, trying to figure out what everything was based on the pictures on the sides of the packaging. Good times.

I check out with no problem (still looking like I'm in complete control and have lived here for ages) and then head out to catch the bus back to my place. Hmmm....there's no bus stop here. Maybe I'll walk a bit and get to the next one. Keep in mind that I'm carrying a big box full of a fan and a bag of other things (including milk...very heavy). I walked for about half a mile, cursing myself the whole way for not caving and just getting a taxi. I have visions of my apartment with the AC on....instead I'm lugging this crap down the street, looking for a bus stop at night. I tried to remind myself over and over, this is an experience, this is making you into a better person.....

I found a bus stop and started waiting. You know me, so good with numbers...I'm looking for bus # 73.....waited 20 minutes and then called G, who reminded me that I'm to get on bus 78. Ok....10 minutes later, here comes 78. I got on and settled in. We keep driving. People get on and get off....we keep driving....now we're in the countryside, on little curvy roads that look WAY too small for a big bus....still driving....finally, I'm the last one on the bus and it pulls onto a dirt lane and into a dirt area with a little shack at the far side. I'm now firmly convinced that the bus driver is going to rape and kill me and steal my fan. I call G again and I give the phone to the bus driver, who has been yelling at me in Korean since we stopped. He yells at her for awhile then gives the phone back to me and gets out. G tells me that I got on the right bus going in the WRONG DIRECTION. So, she doesn't know where I am and tells me to call Taeyeon, my boss (it's not like 9:30pm). He tells me to stay on the bus because it will eventually get back to Deokjeong.

45 minutes later, I know where we are and feel a little better. But now, the bus driver is telling the people on the bus about me, and everyone is laughing at me. I may not speak Korean but I know when people are laughing at my ineptitude. A woman comes up to me and asks me if I'm scared and nervous in English... I actually wasn't scared anymore, just frustrated at my stupidity and really hoping my milk hasn't gone bad yet. She tells me that she used to live in Atlanta and we are almost to my stop....which I knew at this point. When we hit my stop, everyone on the bus starts gesturing to me and speaking loudly (in Korean), showing me my stop. I get off with as much dignity as I can muster with an armload of fan and begin my walk home. After 10 minutes of walking, I am home and safe.

Ok, so this is supposed to make me a better person and build character, right?? UGH!!! I know I'll laugh about this (just like my mom laughed when I told her abt it on Skype right after I got home) someday but right now, I just want to sleep a bit more and forget this ever happened. Lesson for the day? Cross the street and get the bus going in the right direction.

I swear I'm smart.

2 comments:

  1. oh Ansley....I don't know whether to laugh or cry with you. Good description though...totally got a visual of the whole experience. But you are right...these are the kinds of things you will look back on a year from now and be glad that you didn't cross the street...then you wouldn't have these great stories for the book you'll write. Much love to you!! XOXOXOXOXO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say next time, you just slug someone. Sure, it will only bolster our image as "ugly americans", but man, it'll feel good.

    ReplyDelete