Monday, August 10, 2009

Bibimbap

It's official: I'm obsessed with bibimbap (pronounced bee-bim-bahp). The girls and I went to lunch today (as we do every day now) to one of the many little restaurants in our little neighborhood. This really has become my favorite part of the day because I get to try so many kinds of traditional Korean food while getting to know my co-workers better.

Anyway, today we went to a little bibimbap place where it's almost like a buffet. You get a really big tin bowl (almost like a mixing bowl!) and you get some rice. This rice is actually more like a barley type grain, so it's probably much better for you than the typical sticky white rice. Then, you can fill your bowl with all the organic veggies that are offered. There was some kind of cooked eggplant, cabbage and carrot mixture, something green and leafy, almost like spinach but smaller, lettuce, kale, kimchi, and bean sprouts sauteed in spicy sauce. On top of all this goodness, you put a dollop (or two, if you are my Korean friends) of spicy pepper paste and a couple drops of sesame oil. Sit down at your table, mix, and enjoy! It was delicious and actually very healthy. I could definitely be a vegetarian here. Well.....maybe a vegetarian one day a week :)

So, lunchtimes are good times. This is my day when I'm done early: 6:15! I almost don't know what to do with myself! I've been invited to hang out with Gina when she goes to her English tutor at 8, so I think I'll probably do that. Until then, who knows...

1 comment:

  1. You are making me very hungry!!!!! could you please fix me a bowl of that and mail it to me? :) I love hearing about all of your experiences....keep the posts coming! Miss you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete